Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Unhipsters' Hangout: The Wonderful Food at Gonzalez Northgate Supermarket

Northgate Gonzalez Market used to be called Top Valu Market, 4700 Inglewood Blvd, Culver City. . Recently, the ownership changed and the price seems to be a tad more expensive than before, but the grocery selection here is amazing. It's a Mexican supermarket, so you can find plenty of ingredients I need to prepare Asian, Mexican, or other cuisines, as well as your typical American fare. Northgate carries a great selection of peppers, both fresh and dried. I love their jalapenos, poblanos, and bell peppers. 

All kinds of peppers.
  
There are also many interesting Latin American ingredients that I don't know how to use that I often wished someone at the market will start holding cooking classes to show shoppers like myself how to use the ingredients to prepare Mexican food. Every time I go to Gonzalez's I spend hours looking at the ingredients, and wondering if I dare prepare them without knowing how. Other times, I will just go up to a shopper who is looking at the same ingredient I'm looking at and ask her how she prepare those ingredients. Most of the time, I get some really helpful answers. Other times, the shopper can only speak to me in Spanish, and we'd look at each other and just laugh.

Tomatillows, Yucca, Carrots, Pinto Beans
Northgate has the freshest cilantros, scallions and radishes at reasonable prices. By reasonable, I mean at least 30% off the mainstream supermarket prices. Top Valu also sells a wide selection of prepared salsa, flan, guacamole, crema, and ceviche. It has a bakery with all kinds of bread. I receintly bought their corn bread. It's so moist inside that I can eat the whole thing by myself. I also always go for the four for a dollar bread rolls and use them to make subway style sandwiches. You simply can't beat the price and deliciousness.

Salsa, guacamole, and ceviche from Gonzalez' Northgate Market.






No comments:

Post a Comment