Thursday, June 26, 2014

Neighborhood Discovery: Angelino Heights

I took a class in Land Use law and learned about the Historic Preservation Overlay Zone ordinance in Los Angeles. The HPOZ ordinance designates certain Los Angeles neighborhoods as "Historic" and provide for review of proposed exterior alterations and additions to historic properties within designated districts. Los Angeles adopted the HPOZ ordinance in 1979, and designated the neighborhood of Angelino Heights the first HPOZ.

Angelino Heights was planned as Victorian style neighborhood in the late 19th century. it contains some of the best remaining examples of Victorian-era architectural styles in Los Angeles, as well as later examples of Craftsman and Mission Revival styles. The 1300 block of Carroll Avenue is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and contains the highest concentration of 19th century Victorian homes in Los Angeles



It's a symptom of the sprawling and balkanized nature of Los Angeles that while I've known about Angelino Heights for 25 years, I've never been to that neighborhood . . . until yesterday: I got lost driving in downtown LA, and next thing I know, I was on Carroll Avenue. I immediately noticed the unmistakable Victorian buildings there. The cute and elegant gingerbread homes are so recognizable which is probably why this neighborhood was designated as historic and worth preserving in the first place.  I got out of my car and took a stroll.

While there are beautiful and well preserved homes in Angelino Heights, the fact that I noticed some dangerously dilapidated historic homes makes me wonder whether the code mandated up-keep is expensive. It must be a pain to have to obtain a permit every time some maintenance work needs to be done on one's home.


Anyway, Angelino Heights is extremely quiet and charming, and definitely worth a visit. I hear that Christmas lights there are incredible too.

No comments:

Post a Comment